Spring 2020 Open House
February 8, 2020
High school Senior theatre students and transfer students are invited to join us for the Caine College of the Arts Department of Theatre Arts Open House , which includes auditions for the acting program and interviews for all other programs.
Our Open House is designed to give prospective students (and parents) a full picture of what it is like to be a Theatre Arts student at Utah State University.
If you are strongly considering attending USU please apply to the University before January 10, 2020 to be considered for academic scholarships.
Where Preparation Meets Opportunity
A MESSAGE FROM THE DEPARTMENT HEAD:
The Department of Theatre Arts supports the missions of Utah State University and the Caine College of the Arts by cultivating artistic and academic excellence, by contributing to the cultural enrichment of the university and surrounding communites through live theatre production, and by fostering respect for the arts through advocacy and professionalism.
-Adrianne Moore, Department Head, Directing, Voice & Speech
Open House Signup
Greetings from USU Department of Theatre,
Senior theatre students are invited to join us for the Caine College of the Arts Department of Theatre Arts Spring 2020 Open House which includes auditions for the acting program and interviews for all other programs.
Our Open House is designed to give prospective students (and parents) a full picture of what it is like to be a Theatre Arts student at Utah State University. Degree programs include:
BFA - Acting
BFA - Design & Technology:
BFA - Education:
This Saturday event will include an overview by the Department Chair, Q & A sessions with current faculty and students, mini-workshops, facilities tours, auditions for the BFA Acting program, interviews for Design & Technology and Theatre Education for consideration to one of the department programs for the 2020-21 school year.
Open House activities typically run 10:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
How to register for the Spring Open House:
Fill out the Theatre Arts Application form and upload it to the link above. Make sure to include any additional information from your area of interest as indicated below.
Required Application Materials for All Prospective Students:
- A resume listing your theatre experience and a headshot.
- An essay summarizing your reasons for wanting to pursue a career in theatre and your career goals.
- Names & Contact information for 3 references.
Department application materials may be uploaded electronically above.
Audition Requirements for Acting Prospectives:
- 2 contrasting monologues (e.g., 1 comic, 1 serious; 1 classic, 1 contemporary) no more than 90 seconds each – 3 minutes total.
- A minimum 16 bars from a musical theatre song, not to exceed 1 minute – an accompanist will be provided. A CD player, an iPhone adapter, and auxillary cable will be provided as well.
- Singing is encouraged but not required.
Interview Requirements for Design/Tech and Theatre Education Prospectives:
- A portfolio documenting your design or technical theatre work for the Design BFA.
- A portfolio documenting any creative work with children or in an educational setting for the Theatre Education BFA.
Interviews are also required for admission to the BA and Minor programs of study, but no additional materials are required.
We hope to see your students at this year’s Open House. If you have any questions, please contact USU Department of Theatre at 435-797-0085 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: if you are unable to attend our spring Open House, you may contact us directly in order to make arrangements for another time.